Friday 27 February 2015

The last day

On my last day I felt a bit sad to be leaving my Hand and Lock family but I was determined to finish the 15 gold work kits and the rest of the badges that needed touching up.

Now that I had the golden felt I could prick and pounce my design and cut out 15 pairs of the design ready to be sewn down. I also had to pack 15 sets of needles making sure that they all had the different types for different materials. 

                                               
The last of the badges had to be touched up as some parts hadnt been sewn properally and I had to hand sew over the black felt. This took rather along time as I couldnt sew with double thread as it would break and frey very quickly and with double thread it knotted constantly. This was a bit of a rush as the client wanted 50 by 4pm. Eventually they all got sewn and completed and the client was happy with them all.

As it was my last day I bought a big Millies cookie to say thank you for taking me on and teaching me all sorts of different skills. 
I really felt like an equal and one of the team at hand and lock, never like an intern unpaid and useless. 

During my time at Hand and Lock I have learnt basic gold work, how to sew using lots of different materials and onto different fabrics. 
I am the master at unpicking and restitching suit linings. 
I have sewn onto shoes, bowler and flat hats. 
I have framed and re framed again and again, for tambour beading, feather sewing and monogramming. 
I have learnt how to be organised and organise a studio.
I have learnt about different sewing machines, computerised machines and their digitising software.
I have visited the Ritz, Sloane street, Savile row and many other exciting places in London. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Hand and Lock and would always recommend them as a company to work with either interning or as a business that needs some monogramming. Their work is always of such a high quality and they always try to cater to your needs. 

I feel sad about my time coming to an end but I have a lovely card and book to keep and hopefully they will have a big job requiring past interns (fingers crossed) 




No comments:

Post a Comment