Monday 23 February 2015

Badges

Today was all about sewing a lot of badges onto all sorts of different things.

Firstly I had to sew two large badges onto a gown making sure they are both straight and level. 

                                            
Because I had to sew this onto a gown with lining I had to firstly cut the stitches of the lining and sew behind this so my stitches wont be seen. Once the badges were sewn on I then had to find a similar thread and sew the lining back up. 


    
I had this baby sham design to stitch down onto a flat cap. To make sure that it was all in the correct position I first photocopied the design then pricked the outlines before putting pounce over the design to get the outlines on the hat. I had to make sure that I kept the design straight in line with the hat and central. 

Once I put the design onto the hat I could then frame it up. To do this I used this blue netting that can be cut off after everything had been sewn down. I just placed the netting into the hoop and tacked the hat to the netting as the hat would not fit into the hoop without being bent. 

I could then start to sew down parts of the design, I had to use a small needle and gold thread to match the badge. I didnt have to worry about my stitches being seen on the inside of the hat but I wanted to keep them neat and tidy as they would still be seen. 

 

 
When it had all been sewn down I then had to get some silver pearl purl and create a tiny halo to sew above the angel baby shams head. This had to be done in white thread and I also had to stretch the pearl purl slightly so that it could be neatly sewn down without the threads being seen. 

Now the blue netting can be removed. I firstly cut the larger bits off from the edges then inside the shapes so that it can eventually be pulled apart.




 




No comments:

Post a Comment