Wednesday 22 April 2015

Applying for internships

For me the only things that need to be done when applying for an internship is to think ahead.

I am an obsessive planner and I dislike not knowing what I'm doing. I found throughout my placement year that researching and applying for internships throughout the year is the way forward. Even if you are currently in a placement that doesn't mean you cant prepare for your next one.

Firstly I made a list of all the places I knew I would like to intern at and then I went onto the bible of intern postings Fashion Workie. Possibly the most helpful website ever when it comes to finding a internship at any time.

The next step is to write a perfect cover letter which can be changed easily and more detail can be added depending on the company you are applying to. You should also check that your CV is updated and some suitable images are attached.

Then get applying, send as many as you can stating when you want to start. Persistence is key. If your desperate to work there then keep emailing or ringing up.
If you think sending 100 emails is enough then it probably isn't. Not everyone is going to reply to you and most may not even see your email.

Make use of the time not interning. Look on university websites for short courses or any other workshops happening in your area.


No comments:

Post a Comment