Wednesday 22 April 2015

All Saints action plan

All Saints – Design team

Before

I wasn't too sure what exactly I would be doing at All Saints however I knew that I would be working in the design team. I presumed I would learn how the designing of garments come to life and see some people designing or doing work on illustrator. I thought there may be some errands and running around finding things. All the things that you expect to do at most internships.

During

During my time I did a lot of research which at the start I was slightly disappointed that this was my main task however it helped to get me back into the mentality of eventually going back to university in September. I got to see a lot of working drawings and used these to help create my own garments and prints from my research come to life. I did a lot of organising, be it on the computer files or sorting out hangers and fabric swatches. I saw how the real industry is run and how fast the pace is. I took watch of fittings noticing how garments should fit the body and how every mm counts. I saw how they have a variety of suppliers for say denim and go through each and every item taking time to work out if it is right for this collection and the stores brand. I saw how at the end of each term they go over the sales of each garment in the top 50 and see what they have similar which would sell well and what didn't sell and why. 

After


Although I didn't enjoy my time at All Saints as much as my previous internships I did learn a lot which has helped me to realise my preferred career and what I would need when starting up my own company. I learnt about how to work to a deadline and how the whole team must help together to find garments and to chase people for work. I learnt about the thought process when dealing with sample garments and what should be fitted first so that it can be sent back to the factories before the postage deadline. I spent a lot of time researching for the new menswear collection which I hadn't done before for men’s clothing. I also had to research into the different dying processes that the factories would need to know to produce garments like my research; this was something I never had to think about before. I got to see how working drawings should be produced and the amount of detail that goes into them. I also saw how garments were fitted onto the body working at small measurements slightly changing the sleeve head or pocket size. I never realised before how much work goes into the size and shape of the garment after the sample is produced. As All Saints only do 3 week internships I feel like in my last week I was given more responsibility and that if they took on interns for one whole month then I would have perhaps enjoyed myself more as I would have felt part of the team and been given a wider range of tasks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment