Thursday 29 January 2015

Delicate details

When each piece is hand embroidered first the design has to be printed onto the fabric with a mixture of chalk powder. This becomes the guidelines to sew over. The imprint will be on the fabric forever however should never be seen as the stitches cover this.
On the odd occasion we are asked to unpick or change the design of something.

My tasks were to unpick some embroidery and try to wash off the imprint underneath.

                                              
                                   

It was very difficult to wash off the marks and I had to be very careful not to damage the fabric and leave any water marks. Working on the Wikipedia gold work piece meant I also had to make sure I didn't get the embroidery wet.    


I also spent today helping cut strands of thread and neaten up machine embroidery to be ready for clients to collect, I found this cat lifting up the fabric very cute.



No comments:

Post a Comment