Monday 3 November 2014

Fabric Shopping



So after spending the morning doing some computer work I was then send on a fabric swatch adventure to Berwick street sourcing cream and white silk in different textures and weights.
now in Berwick street the fabric shops are normally a bit snobby and don't give out samples or swatches, however saying I was from Hand and Lock helped here as they knew I wasn't a student taking advantage.

 
Once I had a few different samples and I ventured back to the studios to learn how to computerise monograms ready to be sewn on the computerised machine. This process involved placing singular letters into the format the client required and getting them as close to possible on the design, making sure the letters are in the correct sizing and lined up straight.
I then had to cut fabric squares for the monograms to be sewn onto. Making sure that the fabric had no crinkles or blemishes that wouldn't be stretched out, especially in the lighter fabric. They each had to have a front and back piece.

 

My last task of the day was to find the correct/ closest colour thread to the original machine sewing and finished the suit with a small dot between the monogram, by hand.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment